On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Dave Mitchell <dave.mitch...@virgin.net>
wrote:

> Yes, but again origami is not about the destination. It is about the
journey. I would argue that a finished design that is inelegant to fold is
not a good piece of origami however visually attractive or interesting it
may be.

> Of course, I do understand that many folders are completely result
focused and really don't care what kind of torture they inflict on the
paper (or themselves) as long as the result looks good ... but this is
really their own loss. (And they can, of course, comfort themselves with
the thought that they are following in Yoshizawa's footsteps).

> So, to digress slightly, and respond to an earlier thought, elegance and
simplicity are not the same, but it is obviously easier to create a design
with a 'high elegance index' if it is relatively simple (though possibly
not if it is very simple indeed).

> Dave

I agree that the folding sequence in origami is an integral part of the
elegance of it. Unlike other media, where most of the work done to it is
visible on the surface, most of the paper in origami gets hidden on the
inside. That's why it's important to take the folding sequence into account
when talking about elegance.

--
-- Gareth Chen