Rob, thank you for sending me a private message in regards to my previous
questions. The view of an American can be significantly different from the
perception of a Non-American regarding delicate issues such as labeling
countries as being developed or underdeveloped. I will reply to you privately
on this matter so as not to burden this list with a non-origami topic.

Here I will just point to some thoughts on “unconventional” conventions worth
attending:

Some origami associations and groups are not as advanced as you might wish. You
might choose a country for its natural landscapes but end up folding kusudama
after kusudama in a local convention, not being able to attend a single complex
workshop, basically because there is a shortage of creators/interpreters or
they don’t have the level to follow a high-end class. My suggestion for you is
to decide your aim first: is it the country what you want to explore or is it
just that you want to attend a good convention or maybe you are just as fine
meeting origami people no matter how skilled they are? What comes first? If you
want to attend a good convention in a less visited country (caveat: "less
visited by paperfolders", as it may be a prime country for tourism, like Peru
or Colombia), there are countries with great folders and followers. But you
need to check who is going to attend the convention you picked up; it is not
like in the US where there are lots of great folders and there is always
several of them attending. Contact the organizers, try to make local friends in
the social networks, as well as past attendees, and ask them for their honest
opinion regarding the quality of the meeting (you may also find convention
reviews in magazines such as The Fold and The Paper).

Besides that, any country will offer you lots of opportunities for amazing
sightseeing and for the possibility of learning about different cultures. It’s
just a matter of traveling with an open mind.

Last but not least, watch your belongings wherever you go, industrialized or
not, any country has bad guys.

Kind regards
Laura Rozenberg