I have not worked with the app yet, but find this topic very interesting since, as a totally blind folder, I have been creating text-only instructions for a while now.

You can find them at www.accessorigami.com

From the main page there is a link with some other sites and authors as well. I think there may be a difference between instructions that don't rely on pictures, diagrams or other visual input at all, and those text instructions that refer to some accompanying visual elements.

 I think this might be applicable to lots of "how to" questions one could ask from the app?

Kind regards.

Lindy van der Merwe - Cape Town, South Africa

The Accessible Origami Project - www.accessorigami.com

On 2023/01/29 16:09, Matthew Green wrote:
I guess part of the problem is that there are insufficient examples of text-only origami instructions in ChatGPT's set of training texts. We all need to start publishing text-only instructions for lots of traditional and original models to help the AIs of the future be better at this task!
Or not.
Creating an AI that can create step-by-step text descriptions of what happens on the screen in a video would be another solution, but quite a challenge, I suppose...
Best,
Matthew
Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Jan 2023, at 17:52, Anna via Origami <origami@lists.digitalorigami.com> wrote:

Laura wrote:
> "Has Chat GPT (I mean, its AI) ever “seen” the process of folding an origami crane?"

Well, I guess it is a philosophical question, whether a text-based AI is able to see, but I guess no, not in the way we see, feel and experience the world. As it seems, the AI is still missing data about Origami.

Louise wrote:
> "Use YouTube videos. The quality varies but keep looking for a video you
can follow."

Thank you but I'm well aware how to fold a crane. Some years ago Gerwin and I even "optimized" the folding sequence to be more fun, faster and easier to fold. You should give it a try: http://www.origami.at/diagrams/crane.pdf The question was does the newly hyped AI know how to fold a crane too? The answer is a clear no. AI might be part of our future, but I guess until it starts to be any useful in Origami it might still take a while.

Best regards, Anna