Why Orion?  Because from day-to-day, no matter how many CPUs, no matter what
the BEA Sales Executive's outstanding Mercedes lease payment, no matter
what...Orion is USD$1500 / physical server license for deployed applications
and every developer seat is free...because IT management need never again
sweat out BEA 'Assistance' shakedowns and audits...

http://www.orionserver.com/purchase.html

compared to no stated pricing (it averaged USD$35K/CPU last year as an
average quoted price at 7 of my clients) on the BEA website with developer
seats requiring additional license and support fees...

In addition, to quote David Jones' Review of the freeware JBoss in the
serverside.com (link:
http://www.theserverside.com/reviews/thread.jsp?thread_id=6215 )

"Application development, which is what people do with app servers, is a
very technical thing. It requires experience and knowledge. Support services
do not help in any way with this. If you want this, you pay for a class with
BEA or JBoss. BEA has a newsgroup to help out, so does JBoss. If you want
more you can talk to someone at BEA, that's more difficult at JBoss. But do
you want to know what they will tell you at BEA if you ask a tough question?
The same thing that JBoss tells you without getting you on the phone: pay us
consulting fees and we will help you fix it."

By  the way, that's what Orion and its partners will tell you, too...for a
lot less than the BEAst, and with a lot less stress on your IT and corporate
management.

Michael J. Cannon