initially, patent was a form of protection for sharing knowledge. where it
includes publishing the technical designs and specifications of the patents.

this form of protecting the sharing of knowledge is like how copyright
protects the intellectual property of foss.

but in the usa, they extended patents to business methods and software (use
case) that did not reveal the technical designs / algorithms. this is bad as
there is no sharing of knowledge.

fortunately, business method and software patents have yet to be accepted by
the rest of the world.