boh, you mentioned these two targets:
"
I think, a major victory would have been won, if a gov tender comes
out, and states that it HAS to be OSS, then that would be significant.
"
"
Just a rather blunt questions, if a tender for a big gov OSS project
comes out, who do you think will get the job, companies like Acenture,
IBM, Sun (Sun & IBM are OSS companies too...) or some small OSS
company? Do you think we can be part of it?
"

good to have targets.

i know of 3 tenders (k-comm, ekas, kbs portal) which specifically stated
oss. my company won 1 ;-)

there is this mega project (meaning millions) which is now in 'pending'
mode, sebab our small project with the client was already doing some of the
things that this mega project vendor was attempting to do.

so, boleh kira menang ke ?

challenges for me and our small company :

   1. we do not have huge marketing budgets, so we try to be creative (still
   cant afford an ad / pr agency yet)
   2. we dont have bottomless pit development budgets, so we need to give
   priority to smaller jobs, instead of investing resources in polishing up and
   getting our products properly certified
   3. finding and retaining good staff is almost impossible - and the only
   thing that keeps them is being able to learn new and niche stuff that other
   people dont do.

demand memang ada. but need to carve out niche strengths and also work with
other partners.