I believe both mailing lists and forums have their merits. Mailing list are
great if you want to feel like an active member of the community and you want
to be right on top of every discussion. However mailing lists push information
to you and the only way to control information flow is by subscribing to lists
that you believe you have interest in and unsubscribing from those that you
have not.

In my opinion forums are great for building a large and diverse community.
First of all the filtering of information is based on pull. Typically a number
different forums is used, so that each of them may have a more specific user
community, for instance a beginner forum, developer forums,  (tech) artist
forum etc. Further filtering exists in the fact that you only open topics if
they sound interesting. There exist statistics on the amount of activity of
members so valueing responses is easier. By gathering a layer of valuable and
respected people around the core developers (like in the Ogre forums) a lot of
FAQs will be caught without having the core team members to respond to all
questions.

In my perception forums will be more scalable if the user community grows,
because you can not expect every member to follow all discussions that are
currently happening (or happened if you were on vacation for two weeks).

my two cents,

Roland Smeenk