I don't know if it matters in this case or not but on WinXP I had a
problem with spaces in paths.  If I put OSG into a directly with a space
in it and then added that directory to my path: I would be able to run
osgviewer.exe but it would fail to find any of the DLLs.  Moving it to a
directory without a space fixed it.

At the time, I couldn't find anything to make it work... but I didn't
try very hard either (since I had a work-around).  It seemed like DLL
resolution was done differently than exe path resolution.

I could have been out of my mind, too.
-Paul