Warning... I'm in rare form tonight ;-)

I "sort of" agree with both views on this.

OSG is a great API regardless of whether anyone can use it? That's a
bit like saying medicine that will save your life is wonderful,
however it is in a locked box that you cannot open... It's still great
medicine though right?  Sounds like something from Hitchhikers guide
to the Galaxy! There is nothing that has intrinsic value (except
perhaps human beings, but I dare not tread on the philosophical here)
outside of the value placed on it by those who need or desire it. This
is basic economics. Just because you value something does not mean it
"IS" valuable, to the universe or anyone else, but it IS valuable to
you. The previous assertion that an API is only as good to this one
gentleman as it's documentation is perfectly valid. He should
certainly be qualified to determine what is of value to him.

Studying source code and pouring over example programs is simply the
most inefficient means possible of learning a large and complex API. I
really don't see how anyone can mount a reasonable defense against
that fact, and a good many people find this frustrating to the point
of abandoning or ignoring the technology.

However... Initial efficiency is not the only criteria, both from a
business point of view and a pedagogical (learning) point of view.

A somewhat weak but still valid argument could be made that learning
the API this way lends to a deeper and more powerful understanding of
it. Sometimes people will skim good documentation, find only what they
need to know and move on without ever appreciating the elegance of
design, or the depth of power that an API provides. Many open source
advocates and technologist are very deeply offended by this... my
opinion is that those sorts of people aren't really bad, they just
need a good beer and to get laid once and a while. (By-the-way, if
anyone on this list who has ever helped me is in the Orlando area, I
would gladly buy you a beer... but your own your own for the latter.)

The fact that the documentation is poor or non-existent is the nature
of open source. These technologies are built by volunteers, with no
overbearing boss. Only the most uptight when given a deadline or time
constraint will voluntarily write good documentation first. Good
documentation and tutorials take significantly more time to create
than source code. Simple economics and entropy usually intervene to
circumvent the best of intentions.

I used to say OpenSource is only free to those who's time is
worthless. Mr. Hilburn would probably agree, but I have come to
realize that this was rather ignorant on my own part as well. Nothing
in life is ever free, especially in the fields most on this list
practice in. You will always pay either with time, or money; and
typically you will choose to pay with whichever you have the most of.
If you don't have either, your just broke... and in good company, so
there is no point in complaining about it. Although I am currently
learning OSG in the worst possible manner (as concerning time), it is
still vastly faster than if I had to build my own scene graph
technology from scratch. It's rather like being stuck in traffic... "I
could walk faster"... yes it seems that way for the moment, but you
will certainly not actually get home faster by leaving your car
behind. I've built quite enough custom OpenGL engines over the last
ten years, and looking at OSG I realize there is a lot to be gained by
a couple months sacrifice on my part. This makes good business sense
when you look at the larger picture instead of just focusing on a
single project that is in emergency mode because no time was alloted
for R&D before coding was to begin... or someone quit and left you
holding the bag. (I am not making veiled speculation about Mr.
Hilburn's possible situation... but rather my own!).

It is my observation (let me remind detractors that you cannot
disagree with my observations... they are mine not yours, although
admittedly they may not reflect the true nature of the universe ;-)
that most developers try to master technologies far too fast. Usually
with a deadline looming. There is a reason we send engineers to school
before giving them jobs, they need a head start. In industry as well,
it is best to allocate enough time to get familiar with a new
technology before trying to build something with it. Alas, again
economics and entropy often intervene, as I myself have experienced on
may occasions as well.

I have money (well, "some" money). I have not found a better
technology than OSG that I can pay money instead of time for (although
I am still keeping my eye's open ;-). In the mean-time I will spend
some of that money on some OSG training as soon as it comes to town...

Perhaps one day I'll provide a tutorial or two with the time I'll save
on future projects <VBG>.

Richard