I didn't know software rasterizer was used... hmm, but thinking about it, it
makes sense as retrieving info from the GPU has not always been an easy
thing, yet selection buffer exists since a very long time. Anyway, as you
said, higher level knowledge of the scene is definitely an advantage.
I'll try to reproduce the same configuration (selecting a square of given
width around the click in view space, think I saw a pyramid-like
intersection primitive for doing this in OSG) as I did before with selection
buffer.

Thanks for that info,

Raphael