On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 17:49 +0200, Thibault Genessay wrote:
> Hi Jeremy
>
> I've just tried to compile your code using Visual Studio 9.0 and got
> lots of errors that are almost all related to 'const' usage. I am
> sometime suspicious about Redmond compilers so I also tried to compile
> the code on Debian 4.0, and the errors are (hopefully) similar.
>
> Here is the output from the Linux build:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/prog/osgWidget-0.1.8$ make
> Scanning dependencies of target osgWidget
> [  2%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/osgWidget.dir/src/Box.o
> [  5%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/osgWidget.dir/src/Canvas.o
> [  8%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/osgWidget.dir/src/Frame.o
> /home/tibo/prog/osgWidget-0.1.8/include/osgWidget/UIObjectParent: In
> member function 'T* osgWidget::UIObjectParent<T>::_getByName(const
> std::string&) const [with T = osgWidget::Widget]':
> /home/tibo/prog/osgWidget-0.1.8/include/osgWidget/UIObjectParent:76:
> instantiated from 'const T*
> osgWidget::UIObjectParent<T>::getByName(const std::string&) const
> [with T = osgWidget::Widget]'
> /home/tibo/prog/osgWidget-0.1.8/src/Frame.cpp:109:   instantiated from here
> /home/tibo/prog/osgWidget-0.1.8/include/osgWidget/UIObjectParent:56:
> error: invalid conversion from 'const osgWidget::Widget*' to
> 'osgWidget::Widget*'
> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/osgWidget.dir/src/Frame.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/osgWidget.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I'd be real interested to know what version of GCC is complaining about
this. I don't see this error on Fedora 8/GCC4.1, and I've never had an
e-mail about it or antyhing. The code, as far as I can tell, is
perfectly valid C++. Perhaps I can come up with a workaround for this,
as I really do believe it's valid C++...

> And Windows build:
>
> 3>------ Build started: Project: osgWidget, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
> 3>Compiling...
> 3>WindowManager.cpp
> 3>.\src\WindowManager.cpp(191) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot
> convert from 'const osgWidget::Window *' to 'osgWidget::Window *'
> 3>        Conversion loses qualifiers
> 3>.\src\WindowManager.cpp(203) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot
> convert from 'const osgWidget::Widget *' to 'osgWidget::Widget *'
> 3>        Conversion loses qualifiers
> 3>.\src\WindowManager.cpp(333) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot
> convert from 'const osgWidget::Window *' to 'osgWidget::Window *'
> 3>        Conversion loses qualifiers
> [...]

This is the exact same problem as above. I can definitely come up with a
workaround, but if possible I'd like to see your version of GCC first if
possible. :)