OSG doesn't assume left- or right-handed coordinates. It is based on OpenGL,
in which object coordinate space is left-handed, but can easily be switched
to right-handed with a negative scale.

In my experience, most transformation confusion stems from not knowing
whether to pre- or post-multiply matrices or quats together. To be
completely honest, I find it's easier (for me, personally) to simply try it
both ways to determine which one produces the results I want, rather than
try to keep track in my head of which API works which way. It doesn't help
that OSG uses the opposite of the OpenGL API that it's built upon.

Hope that helps,

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com