With libraries like Cairo available, I'm not sure why you'd need to
write your own. I've written a "glue" module for Cairo/OSG which lets
you use a vector graphics API on a Texture2D "canvas."

For example, the attached image was rendered using Cairo on a small
texture (256x256). No image files were loaded or anything like that...

http://osgcairo.googlecode.com

It's not feature-complete or anything like that, but it demonstrates the
concept.