Hi Alejandro,

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Alejandro Aguilar Sierra
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sure. Where should I start?

The wiki... ;-)

I will actually be doing docs on VTP in the next month so it probably
worth waiting till I get this done then adding to bits that could
deserve with more info.

>> Poles are little bit awkward to fix with the simple quad tree approach
>> used by the OSG (and many other whole whole techniques.)  We could
>> certainly do more to try and alleviate this problem by better sampling
>> around the poles when building the terrain.  Anisotropic filtering can
>> help at runtime.
>
> As Colin Middleton points out, that filtering will not be enough. I am
> willing to help on implementing the polyhedron based projection. I
> know of a few papers and references, including and adaptation of the
> ROAM algorithm to the cube projection. But  since I am a newbie as osg
> (and vpb) developer I just need some directions and links.

Using a substantially different terrain division algorithm would
require a major rewrite of VirtualPlanetBuilder, and it's not just a
little bit of code that is straight forward to learn and easy to
tinker with.  The papers you might come across we just scratch the
surfaces on the actual details required for implementation of highly
scalable terrain generation.  VPB can handle terrabytes of source and
output data, there's only a few pieces software in the world that
currently does this for terrain, and VPB is the only open sourced one
I'm aware of.  Handling terrabytes of moziaced multi-resolution data
is the hard part that few bits of software handle.

So... jumping to a new scheme is not easy at all, and the papers won't
help you, and rather than look for grand all encompassing solutions
look for smaller solutions, and there are some such as changing the
sample dimensions on polar tiles that will actually solve most of the
problem with massive changes or long learning curves.