Hi Rick,

We are looking for text book kinds of materials. Do you have recommendations in that regard, perhaps something you and Bob have already written? Like I mentioned, I would really like to start off with OpenGL and then show how OSG helps.

Hehe, you do know that Paul wrote OpenGL Distilled, don't you? Without a doubt, one of the best OpenGL books around. Along with the Red and Orange books, every OpenGL developer should have it. For a course, I would say you only need that one, and let the really interested students get the others if they want to continue down that path.

For a more general CG reference I would highly recommend Real-Time Rendering (now at 3rd edition) by Tomas Akenine-Möller, Eric Haines and Naty Hoffman. I've said it before on this list, this book is a must-have. Its breadth is astonishing (it covers almost any CG topic short of the really really advanced stuff) and when you need to go more in-depth on a given subject, it has a ton of references to point you in the right direction. (side note: on their site http://www.realtimerendering.com/ there are PowerPoint slides for a course, you could use that for inspiration if you want)

Not sure you can tell all your students to buy two textbooks for a class, but those are the two I would suggest: OpenGL Distilled and Real-Time Rendering. Perhaps you can pair the students and get each pair to get the two books (one per student) so they can benefit from both without buying both.

Anyways, good luck with the class. I agree with Simon: get them hooked with some nice visual results (games like TF2, Crysis, Mass Effect, etc. and perhaps some demos - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene) and then when they're really interested in the pretty pictures you can start teaching them how it's done.

One really important part is showing them early what the difference is between a pre-rendered animation and real-time stuff. That way they can appreciate the amount of work that goes into making things look that good even though it's real-time, and how you need to be ingenious to develop tricks and cheats in order to make it look like you're doing things that should be impossible to do in real-time. IMHO, that's the best part of what we do.

J-S