Jeremy,
   Having used osgWidget extensively, I second what everyone has said above,
that the input processing/picking ought to be factored out of the
WindowManager into a separate class. osgWidget is a nice contribution to
osg, but it does have a lot of instances like this where modularity could be
improved. Input processing/picking is a tricky thing, and it would be great
to have an easy setup for swapping in my own input handler; for instance, by
default the topmost picked widget is selected, but I might want to pick
through pixels that are textured transparent.

   Since you're in a refactoring mood, I also want to mention that the
biggest thing you could do to improve osgWidget is get rid of all uses of
the friend keyword. It's not good in a toolkit, especially an alpha version
toolkit, as it is mostly impossible to extend/override/bugfix the existing
stuff by inheritance. For my own project, I needed to inherit from some of
the widget classes and had to build my own friendless version as a result.

I can make a more extensive list of ''suggested improvements'' if you want
:)

- Max Bandazian