On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 10:05 -0500, Max Bandazian wrote:

> Jeremy,
>

>    Having used osgWidget extensively, I second what everyone has said

I would definitely be interested most in the opinions of people who have
used osgWidget most. :)

>  above, that the input processing/picking ought to be factored out of
> the WindowManager into a separate class. osgWidget is a nice
> contribution to osg, but it does have a lot of instances like this
> where modularity could be improved. Input processing/picking is a
> tricky thing, and it would be great to have an easy setup for swapping
> in my own input handler; for instance, by default the topmost picked
> widget is selected, but I might want to pick through pixels that are
> textured transparent.

This is not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I fully understand how you want
them divorced. You're absolutely right that there is currently no "easy"
way to pick through a transparent pixel. Perhaps the answer here is not
to break it apart, but make creating derived WindowManagers easier?

>    Since you're in a refactoring mood, I also want to mention that the
> biggest thing you could do to improve osgWidget is get rid of all uses
> of the friend keyword. It's not good in a toolkit, especially an alpha
> version toolkit, as it is mostly impossible to extend/override/bugfix
> the existing stuff by inheritance. For my own project, I needed to
> inherit from some of the widget classes and had to build my own
> friendless version as a result.

This would be easy to get rid of, and something I could do quickly.

> I can make a more extensive list of ''suggested improvements'' if you
> want :)

Please do. :) The results of this discussion thread will determine if I
am way over my head or not with osgWidget. It may turn out that I've
tackled a project much larger than my understanding, and need to scrap
it entirely. :(