Hi All,

Got you're attention with a totally cryptic subject line :-)

I've just rebuilt a computer for my dev work.  The new components are:

   Intel Core i7-920 2.6GHz
   P6T Deluxe X58 Motherboard
   6GB DRR3

It has a rather old Gefore 7800GT it for now, will soon be putting in
my other 7800GT to test dual GPU operation.  Once the new 55nm
generation of Geforce 2xx series comes out I'll be upgrading these.

I've just installed Kubuntu 8.10 and everything went smoothly, a few
agt-get install's for the dev tools and dependencies and I had a dev
machine.  Clean build of the OSG including examples (but no wrappers)
took 4 minutes 36 seconds, which is pretty quick ;-)

The only significant problem with the new machine was that initially
it wouldn't boot properly due to a bug in the onboard Splashtop
conflicting with the IDE DVD drive, I couldn't even get to the bios to
switch try and fix things.  The only way I got over this boot problem
with to pull out the power to the DVD drive, then disabling Splashtop
allowed my to run with the DVD connected... and I finally could boot
to the Kubuntu LiveCD and then I was away, everything went smoothly.

I will be moving across to the new build machine this week and doing
lots of testing, and will keep you all informed of how I get on.  I'm
expecting to have to take account of hyper-threading in osgViewer
thread affinity selection to get best performance.  Anybody know an
easy way of detecting hyper-threading support?