Hi Robert,

Quoting Robert Osfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> My quick look at benchmarking also hinted that hyper threading may be
> hurting performance, or at least the current CPU affinity strategy
> employed by osgViewer may be hurting performance on a hyper threading
> CPU.  Until I get an optimitized build running I can't go investigate

My take on hyper-threading was always to disable it, if enough (say >= 4) cores
are available.  It's not a separate core after all and there is a certain
amount of work involved to make one core look like two.

Additionally: what is the communities' experience with manually assigning
processes to cores?  Does it work?

It sounds like a good idea but in my experience it's best to leave the
scheduling up to the operating system to handle core affinity (except when
you're running Windows which has a completely fscked-up round-robin scheduler).

Cheers,
/ulrich