Hi Robert,

Indeed, you do need to set up a cache in the earth file in order to seeding
to work. (It shouldn't crash of course - that is a bug.)

There are two examples of how to set up caching in the "tests" directory:

"simple_caching.earth" shows a single, map-level cache
"advanced_caching.earth" show how to override caching props at the source
level.

Also, you can read up on cache configuration on the wiki here:
http://wush.net/trac/osgearth/wiki/EarthFileCaching

Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping : http://pelicanmapping.com :
+1.703.652.4791