Hi all,

Some progess on this issue, at last!

Quoting myself:
I might try submitting the modified example to nvidia to see if they can confirm a bug.

I sent a bug report to nvidia a little while back, and got an answer last Friday saying that with the newest drivers, they could only reproduce the problem about one in 5 times. I tried these new drivers (182.06+) and they do in fact seem to fix the problem almost completely. In my case, out of about 20 tries I could only reproduce the deadlock once.

So it's pretty clear it was a driver bug, and we got lucky that some other change also fixed our problem by side effect.

I've asked them to check the Linux drivers too.

For reference, if someone ever needs to send a driver bug report, I sent to (devsupport at nvidia dot com) and am quite happy with the turnaround time, considering I didn't have much hope of getting any answer at all... I didn't even need to be a "registered developer".

J-S