Hi,

Mao wrote:
Hi! Recently, our project is planning to migrate from mini to VPB. However, we encounter with several questions.

1. In the example of osgDEM, I infer that osgDEM processes tiff format only. But tiff uses 32-bit offset which limits its size to 4G bytes. Most of our data are ERDAS img file or rrd file, which are huge in size. Yesterday, we processed an img file of size 20G bytes, and gdal_translate it to a 21G bytes tiff. That confused me. How can VPB handle extra bytes?

osgdem/virtualplanetbuilder can read all files that gdal can read, so have a look here:
http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

You can use the gdal tools to split your large data into multiple smaller geotiffs <2GB if you want.

2. Another thing is that, texture files we got sometimes are in pieces, and we should use gdal_merge.py to merge them into one big tiff. According to the source code, VPB can handle only one texture file. Can we use multiple texture files?

It is better in pieces :) Smaller files, easier to handle. VPB can handle multiple texture files, you can even pass a directory name and it would use all the files in the directory.

See here too:
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/VirtualPlanetBuilder/wiki/ExampleClusterJPD

3. The last question is when applied with “--Terrain” or “—HEIGHT_FIELD” options, there is no texture at all. Can we encapsulate both texture and DEM data into one output file? And it seems that osg::HeightField does not provide height = getHieghtAt(terrain.x, terrain.y) method.

Hi, --terrain works for me. You can have DEM layer + multiple texture layers. I can't answer about height_field.

jp

Thank you very much for listening!

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard. The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.