OpenGL can generate this error if it runs out of memory for any reason, either GPU or host RAM. This means the problem isn't necessarily caused by graphics. If you've nearly exhausted system RAM in your simulation or GUI or whatever, and there's not enough host RAM left to process even the simplest of OpenGL calls, then you get GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY.

If you're on 32bit Windows, you're limited to 2GB of memory per process, so first thing to do would be to look at your process size.

If that looks normal, then using something like GLIntercept / GLTrace / BuGLe / whatever will tell you which OpenGL command is triggering the error, which may or may not shed some light on the issue. I believe there's also a way to have OSG call glGetError() during every StateAttribute::apply(), which would give you more fine grained error checking, but is really no substitute for a tool like GLIntercept.
   -Paul

Cory Riddell wrote:
I'm getting the infamous "Warning: detected OpenGL error 'out of memory'
after RenderBin::draw(,)" message.

Any advice on handling this? My scene isn't very big (maybe 150,000
vertices) and my machine has 3 GB of RAM. Do you monitor or profile
memory usage to dynamically tune your application's display? If I knew
when I was getting close to exhausting the OpenGL pool, I could
re-tesselate to come up with lower resolution models.

Cory