Hi,

Jason Daly wrote:
David Glenn wrote:

I know I'm going to get the Why are you doing this reaction, but that is the requirements! The user will be able to run Performer and OSG at the same time! The best answer I can come up with is "use Core Duo or better" but that means dumping 64 boxes!

I'd make sure both the OSG and Performer apps are running single-threaded/single process (PFMP_APPCULLDRAW).

You can set the environment variable OSG_THREADING to "SingleThreaded" to handle the OSG app. I couldn't find an equivalent for Performer, so you might have to edit the code and change/add the call to pfMultiprocess(PFMP_APPCULLDRAW).

Also, I remember having issues with an Nvidia driver running multiple contexts before. What happens on that machine if you just run two copies of either program (or two copies of glxgears, for that matter). You can try turning off Vsync (set the __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK environment variable to 0), as I remember this helping to work around it.

I don't think getting a Quadro will help you with this problem (that's just PNY trying to sell you more expensive cards). NVIDIA's Linux support is way better than anyone else's, for both GeForce and Quadro.

you can also try fiddling with the cpu affinity of the OSG threads. AFAIK in single threaded mode OSG would take CPU0 for rendering and move the databasepager to CPU1.

See this:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.openscenegraph.user/52734

Also grep the OSG code for "setProcessorAffinity".

jp

--"J"

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard. The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.