Is it possible to have a drawable that isn't drawn?

I have a complex object split into a number of geodes but sharing a common
vertex array - this is necessary because some of the meshes combine across
objects.

But I do need a way of quickly knowing if a particular vertex is in a certain
geometry from the primitiveIndex returned by a pick.
If they were just points this is easy - because the vertices are in order (ie,
first N are in first geometry, next M are the 2nd etc)
But there is no easy way to count how many points are in a line or triangle
geometry.

I thought of having a drawarray of points for each part but somehow setting it
to not actually draw them as points - is there any way to achieve this?

The alternative is to have a vertexattribute but this seemed a bit over kill if
I only read need to store a few indices.

Cheers,
Martin