Hi Allen,

the problem in the first case, is that the unit graph is still not correctly
initialised before you call findUnit. When keyboard event handle runs, there is
already an update/init call on the unit graph which initialize the whole
pipeline.

I could take a look in that, you are right. So that next time nobody get
confused about the method. One just have to write a visitor which is able to
find a unit also in an unitialized graph.

As simple workaround would be to use osg's internal find node methods (I am
pretty sure there must be such) and to look for a node with the given name.
Units are derived from nodes, hence it should work in that way too.

Cheers,
Art