HI Frank,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Frank Sullivan
<knarf.navil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The 700fps is just in wireframe mode with nothing else being drawn.
> Eventually I'll have to put it in a scene, and apply a special shader effect
> to it, which could reduce the frame rate. I don't know exactly what the frame
> rate will be, but I thought it might be fruitful (partially for curiosity's
> sake) to try some optimizations.

Premature optimizations are something that you should avoid, you'll
often be chasing completely irrelevant bottlenecks.  I would strongly
recommend just implementing things in the way that you find easiest to
manage and using known standard fast paths and creating a well
balanced scene graph, just be sensible, then do some basic performance
testing it all looks good then move on.   If you were getting 50hrz
already then you have a problem, but at 700fps it suggests that things
are doing just fine and nothing to worry about.

As you implemented your shaders and introduce more data keep doing
benchmark tests.  I would suggest building up a family of animation
paths that make the camera follow paths that are representative of
application usage, then use these paths in your benchmarking so you
got a consistent base on which to compare.  As you progress you'll be
able to monitor how your app is doing and spot when things start to go
wrong, and if/when they do then you start looking into fixing the
problems that arise.