Hello Brad,

A different question, is why is the code written this way?  I mean as I
understand in windows you get a WM_KEYDOWN msg for all keys and then if it
is a character you later get a WM_CHAR (possible multiple depending on key
repeat?) and then when the user releases the key you get a WM_KEYUP.  That's
my understanding anyway.  The current osg implementation seems more
convoluted..?

You're right, it seems a bit weird. I'm not that familiar with Windows programming though, and since with the change keys still work in osgviewer, I can't wrap my head around what's so different that your app no longer works as before.

There is another oddity: the change was not committed on its own, but was committed as part of another submission as you can see from the totally unrelated svn log message:

From Torben Dannhauer, "I extended the attached CMAKE module to search for the collada libraries of my VS2008 3rdParty package if no other library is found.

No CMAKE should recognize all libraries of the VS2008 3rdParty Package."

That is probably just a result of Robert juggling too many tasks at once, and doesn't matter much, but of course committing each submission separately makes it easier to back out a change that proves to be problematic...

I went chasing the change on the mailing list, and it was from this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/osg-submissi...@lists.openscenegraph.org/msg05940.html

You'll notice that Robert said that he can't test changes to Win32 code and asks Windows devs to make sure they work correctly, which I guess is what we're doing now although a bit late :-)

So I guess the first step should be to ask the original author of the change (Vivien Delage) what he was trying to fix with his change (I can't quite understand from quick reading the messages and the code, and don't have time to go into detail right now), and then figure out why it fixes something for him but breaks something for you. Then you could agree on a fix that resolves the issue for both - be it to amend the submission in the OSG code or do things differently in your own app, as long as you agree and it's reasonably certain that other users won't trip on the same issue in the future.

Since the problem doesn't seem to affect osgviewer I think it's safe to keep it committed for now until you and Vivien can figure out which way to go.

I'll be monitoring the thread, hoping it will be resolved soon. Send any change to osg-submissions once you're done. Hope this helps,

J-S