I concur, in order to avoid disrupting existing users, metadata should
only be read/written to if UserData is empty or already contains a
metadata object.  Possibly we could have an abstract "metadata" or
"de/serializable" interface so that users could retroactively support
their existing UserData objects without needing to use to the new
classes for storage.  I hear that osg 2.9/3.0 also has a new
serialization framework for node files?  (I'm using 2.8)

With regards to implementation, I would be possibly be able to work on
something as I do have a use for it, but I won't be able to get to it
for several weeks at least.  If someone has a more immediate need
(Sukender?), they should step up.

On 2/3/2011 11:21 AM, Sukender wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Ulrich is right: you could move your data as a metadata. However I guess that
> we should not break existing code. (De)Serializers should NEVER overwrite
> existing userData, they should only be allowed to add metadata it userData
> points to a meta container. So if you already use "userData", then you simply
> won't be able to add metadata.
>
> Sukender
> PVLE - Lightweight cross-platform game engine - http://pvle.sourceforge.net/
>
> ----- "Ulrich Hertlein" <u.hertl...@sandbox.de> a écrit :
>
>> On 3/02/11 3:47 , Bob Youmans wrote:
>>> What will the users do, who current utilize the userData in the node
>> for their own
>>> specialized purposes?  Is this going to break our models?
>> I don't see a reason why user-data shouldn't be stored as another type
>> of meta-data.
>> So it should be fully compatible with user-data, both API-wise and
>> serialization to/from disk.
>>
>> /ulrich

Peter Amstutz
Senior Software Engineer