Hi,

we have a performance problem with the nVidia 400 series.

But first:

Our software is a 3D physics simulation. We use ODE for the physics. Qt is
responsible for the 2D GUI and OSG handles the 3D visualisation.

I changed my graphics-card from a nVidia 9600GT to a nVidia GTX460 (768mb of
RAM). After this the performance goes down. It is roughly half of the FPS.

I found this statement in the wikipedia:

 OpenGL Problems

It has been reported by users as well as developers [13] [14] [15] [16] [17]
[18] [19] [20] that nVidia 400-series cards have severe performance problems
with 3D content-creation applications such as Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max,
Blender, Rhinoceros 3D—as well as some OpenGL games—to the extent that video
cards two generations older routinely outperform 400-series in such
applications and games. The problem, which affects any OpenGL application using
textures, involves accessing framebuffer contents or storing data on the GPU.
So far, one customer using an OpenGL based application got a response from
nVidia support indicating that the behavior is expected in the GeForce 400 line
of cards, and no software update is available to improve the performance of the
hardware.[21]. The problem can be worked around with a hack by using a CUDA
memory copy to access the buffer object.

Here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series#OpenGL_Problems

Is there a known issue? I searched the board but I had no success.

The problem is also present on a nVidia GTX480.

Some details from our software:

OSG: 2.8.3 / 2.8.4 and 2.9.14 (I tested all these versions)
Qt: 4.6.3 (SDK 2010.04)
ODE: 0.11

build with minGW (from the Qt SDK)
running under Win7 64bit