On 05/17/2011 11:36 AM, Michael Rohn wrote:
Is there a known issue? I searched the board but I had no success.

The problem is also present on a nVidia GTX480.

Look at the links on the Wikipedia page (especially the link to the OpenGL forum discussion). I haven't seen any official statement on the issue from nVidia, but the conjecture on the forums seems to be that it's a deliberate throttling of performance to create a product line separation between the GeForce "gamer" cards and the Quadro "professional" cards (Quadro cards are priced many times higher than the comparable GeForce product). Traditionally, games haven't needed quick pixel readback as much as other applications (GPU-heaving computational or scientific applications), so nVidia seems to be making it a "professional" feature and charging a premium for it.

As the article mentions, you can get around it using CUDA code (and possibly OpenCL code as well), although that's obviously not a real solution. There seems to have been a bit of an uproar about this, so it remains to be seen if nVidia will address this issue or not. I suspect if enough people jump ship and start buying AMD cards, they might give it more attention.

--"J"