the radius determines the pixel for which the sigma is used.
once you are on the edges of the kernel (gauss curve approaches 0),
you can stop blurring.

this will be around 2.5 - 3 times sigma.

the correct sigma depends on the effect intended,
try different sigmas ranging from 2-15 and radius = 2.5 * sigma
(maybe you can attach a slider to interactively determine the best value.)

René