I've seen such behavior when using osgtext with some threading models, so i this problem is not that rare.
Cheers
07.02.2012, 17:50, "mikael lemercier" <mika.lemerc...@gmail.com>:

2012/2/7 Robert Osfield <robert.osfi...@gmail.com>
Also what hardware, OS, dev environment are you working on?

I'm working on:
- Hardware : Intel Core i7-2600
- OS : Windows 7
- Dev environment : Visual 2010
- Build config : x64

I also reproduced the problem on:
- Hardware : Intel Core i7-2600
- OS : OpenSuse 11.1
- Dev environment : Eclipse

Could you also check whether the OSG is using atomic ref counting or
OpenThreads::Mutex version? include/OpenThreads/Config will reveal
which should be being used.

It's using atomic ref counting in my case :  _OSG_REFERENCED_USE_ATOMIC_OPERATIONS is defined.
But the problem might also exist with Mutex, since in both cases the delete part is not locked.

Could you also outline how you are running your tests.

To reproduce the problem, without any interference from my work, I inserted my test file directly in the osg solution.
I just replaced osgviewer.cpp by my test file (joined with my first message).
As I said before, I also added a sleep() of 1s to the Referenced::unref() function so that the created thread has time to increment the refCount before the main thread calls the delete.