Thanks Robert,

It looks like, when the particles are sorted, dead particles are given a depth
of 0 so that they are automatically placed at the beginning of the list. This
will be useful, I think, because it looks like the purpose of the _deadparts
stack is to keep track of which particles are dead, so that when the
ParticleSystem wants to reuse a dead particle, it doesn't have to do a linear
search through the particle list to find them. However, if I know that the dead
particles (if any) are at the beginning of the list, then I can just take a
look at the first item on the list. If it's dead, resurrect it. Otherwise,
create a new one.

So I might try subclassing ParticleSystem and overriding the CreateParticle
method. In it, I'll check the sorting mode. If it's NO_SORT, then I'll use the
_deadparts stack as usual. Otherwise, I'll just check the first particle in the
list to see if it's dead.

I won't have a chance to try this for a few hours because I have to run off to
school, but I will let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks again,
Frank