Hi Thomas,

On 3 April 2012 14:39, Thomas Hogarth <thomas.hoga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've had a quick go at creating an account on the new MediaWiki system, was
> very straight forward. I don't have much experience with web backends but am
> very interested in helping out with content and general admin of the new
> site.

Thanks for the offer.  I'd very much like to be able to distribute the
load and responsibility of maintaining website across a set of
engineers, we'll need to wait to see who steps forward before we can
divvy up various responsibilities.

> I've been meaning to create some more detailed information about IOS
> specific stuff and the new website is a good time to start I think.

Excellent :-)

> Only comments so far are that I couldn't find how to add images, I think you
> need to enable user uploads but I guess this creates the issue with how much
> do you allow to be uploaded etc.

I've just worked out how to enable uploads, and tested it out on the
page you modified - I've uploaded a 2:1 whole earth image and it looks
to work fine.  Feel free to see if you can remove it/replace it.

> In terms of ideas for the new site I always liked the simple layout of the
> openframeworks site
>
> http://www.openframeworks.cc/
>
> I especially like the feeds at the bottom with information about the latest
> commits etc, helps people keep up with what's going on. Although their
> tutorials are difficult to find.

Thanks for the link.  The openframeworks website is both quite simple
but seems to have multiple places for the same thing which makes it a
little more visually cluttered than it needs be.  The feeds is an
interesting idea - we try to kind of nurture this with the front page
of the old website but it's never updated often enough to justify it.
Having a github feed would ensure that there is pretty steady supply
of news.

I guess tracking tweets of various prominent OSG contributors/users
would be useful as well.  I haven't personally dabbled in
twitter/facebook/google+ yet, and still don't feel too inclined to
generate even more opportunities to air my inability to spell!  Others
are welcome to jump in a fill this void :-)

> I think the main downfall of the current OpenSceneGraph site is that too
> many topics are presented in a single view. e.g. the Getting Started page
> has info about multiple platforms, instead we should break things down so
> it's more like
>
> -Getting Started
>    -Linux
>    -Windows
>    -OSX
>    -Android
>    -IOS
>
> So that users are getting the information relevant to them, quicker and not
> posting the same old questions on the forum as much.
>
> Perhaps people should design there suggestions for how we categorise and
> access the content then we can compare ideas.

Having a a layout guideline that works well is essential for getting
the website to work well.  We'll need to decide this reasonably soon
as this guides how the content gets filled out.  I haven't formed any
opinions on the "right way" so am open to suggestions.

I do wonder if with having a new and more powerful wiki would open the
door to better community content and hopefully... documentation.  I'm
wondering whether we can push much of the documentation onto the wiki
and then have the main website act as a place holder for
downloads/gallery and as gateway to forum/mailing list/wiki.

Having a wiki with it's log in user account, and potentially CMS like
Joomla with it's own user accounts, and the forum and mailing list
both with their own user accounts will be rather messy.  So I wonder
if it might be possible to have just one account on the main site and
then have options for enabling wiki/forum/mailing list activation.
Is this possible?