Hi Robert,

thanks a lot for the detailed info. I was following the user list but was
somehow moving the upgrade to the latest from the trunk to some better
days, and these days are now :-).

I understand now the changes, just reading the code now and comparing it to
some older version. I have another question. Are these changes reflected
into the plugins like OpenFlight, ive, osgb? The real problem I am facing
is the performance of a system already installed on a site and if there is
a way to improve them just by upgrading OSG. or I have to touch the
mentioned plugins as well. Probably the most important is the OpenFlight
plugin

Thanks again !

Nick

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Robert Osfield <robert.osfi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> HI Nick,
>
> On 19 September 2014 10:47, Trajce Nikolov NICK <
> trajce.nikolov.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> yes, that is it. In very brief. Any clue what is making now osg::Geometry
>> faster, what is the story behind?
>>

> The changes to osg::Geometry in 3.2 relate to removal of the code paths
> that handle the cases where index arrays where used, even when not used
> this added an small overhead to each osg::Geometry call when display lists
> weren't used.  These changes distil osg::Geometry down to just supporting
> OpenGL fast paths.  For most end users there won't need to be any changes
> as they shouldn't have been using index arrays as they have been deprecated
> slow paths for many years.  To support this change the osg::Array has
> already been re-factored a little to now contain things like binding
> information directly with the osg::Array rather than as part of
> osg::Geometry.
>
> In svn/trunk and the OSG-3.3.x dev releases there are further changes to
> osg::Drawable that relate to change it to subclass from osg::Node rather
> than osg::Object.  This change also brought about unification and
> generalization of the Callback.  Now that Drawable is a Node you no longer
> need an osg::Geode to attach a Drawable to the scene graph, this makes a
> little simpler to create scene graphs, and reduces the number of nodes in
> the scene graph which which can help cut down CPU overhead of cull
> traversal.
>
> All of these changes have been done in a way that retains backwards
> compatibility as far as possible, so most applications won't notice a
> difference when compiling their OSG apps.  The small improvements to
> performance are unlikely to be noticeable without accurate time stats.
> Together these changes are all about slowly cleaning up the OSG API and
> making more efficient and flexible.
>
> Robert.

trajce nikolov nick