Hi Nick,

On 19 September 2014 11:29, Trajce Nikolov NICK <
trajce.nikolov.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> thanks a lot for the detailed info. I was following the user list but was
> somehow moving the upgrade to the latest from the trunk to some better
> days, and these days are now :-).
>
> I understand now the changes, just reading the code now and comparing it
> to some older version. I have another question. Are these changes reflected
> into the plugins like OpenFlight, ive, osgb? The real problem I am facing
> is the performance of a system already installed on a site and if there is
> a way to improve them just by upgrading OSG. or I have to touch the
> mentioned plugins as well. Probably the most important is the OpenFlight
> plugin

The plugins have remained pretty well the same, just a few tweaks to the
serializers for the refactor.  If you are upgrading to a svn/trunk or dev
release then you should be able to update the whole OSG and not worry about
plugins - just pull them all in as well.

Most of the plugins don't yet take advantage of the new changes of the
Drawable subclassing from osg::Node, so they mostly all still create
osg::Geode and attach the Drawables to it.  These plugins could be
optimized a little by removing the Geode where it isn't required but I
haven't tackled this work.  Others are welcome to pitch in.

There are various other small tweaks to the OSG to help reduce the CPU
overhead, so in general the the latest should just be all-round a better
bet.  Don't expect big performance changes though, it's just little
improvements here and there.