Can anyone explain to me why OpenSceneGraph isn't used in the games industry?
There seems to be a large stigma surrounding OSG's performance, but is there
really a problem here or not? OSG's own website claims "high performance". Is
it really?

I've heard reports that people have had to keep their scene graphs shallow
otherwise the lookups become too expensive. Makes sense, but is that enough to
disqualify it for use in games?

My problem is that we have to render very large expanses of terrain in urban
and rural environments. Think GTA, but for simulation research purposes, not
entertainment.

I know OSG is used a lot in the simulation industry but I don't understand why
when there's better tech out there.

I'm not trying to incite a flame war, I just want a straight honest answer.
We're considering many different frameworks and engines right now and OSG seems
like an iceberg that I'm trying to steer us away from.