Our application is using osgVolume to render 3D texture data that is provided
by users. This means the data can be very large, and can exceed the amount of
available graphics memory on some machines.

I was looking for a way to detect whether a texture has failed to load in this
way, so that we can alert the user, or react to the problem in some other way.
But I'm having trouble finding anything in code that will help.
OpenSceneGraph responds with   "Warning: detected OpenGL error 'out of memory'
at after RenderBin::draw(..)"   but I'm not seeing anything in the scene graph
data that can indicate that the texture in question is at fault. The
TextureObject representing the 3D texture, for example declares that it is
allocated, and reports the correct size and a positive id.

Is there any way to tell whether a texture is too big for graphics memory,
other than by just knowing how much there is in total  (a feature that only
seems to work for me on NVidia hardware anyway) and checking whether the known
size of your texture will fit?