Dear Judy,

in my practice I have always suggested to the sponsor (when that topic came up) not to make promises regarding the support of any action that arose out of the ost gathering... other than to provide for what I called "Next Meeting(s)". The Next Meeting, 3.5 hours (between 4 and 8 weeks after the ost event), gives space to

--- visualize the progress to date for each action
--- have an exchange on the progress to date among all present
--- collect and visualise future steps ("And Now?")
--- exchange and add to "And Now?" by everyone present
--- agree to the specific Next Step in each of the action groups
--- have an exchange on the Next Steps and add stuff (ideas, I want to be part of this, etc.)

This design can be repeated until all actions originally planned are done with (mostly two such meetings suffice but there have been situations where up to 4 Next Meetings were needed)... participants together with the sponsor(s) decide at the end of each Next Meeting whether and when the next Next Meeting should be. (A detailed account on this approach can be seen on pages 181 to 192 with lots of pictures in "Meine open space Praxis"... the photos and German language skills will help. Its available as hard cover and eBook
https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Meine-open-space-Praxis
https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Meine-open-space-Praxis-E-Book

This approach ensures that those gathered around an action take the whole responsibility to actually see the action through. Whatever ressources they need from the organisation they need to and will acquire themselves. In other words, stuff happens because originators of actions see it through... its selforganisation all the way down and if an action is not supported I have heard of ingenious ways to get approval after all.

This approach is based on various assumptions:

--- participants gathered around an issue that they care/are passionate about and that they are willing to work/fight for will make progress on that issue completely irrespective of prior promises of support --- prior promises by the sponsor reduce either the passion or responsibility or both for a particular issue and give rise to a plethora of proposals --- actions by participants bringing progress to particular issues, especially sticky ones, will benefit not only a particular issue but will support the infrastructure for future action in the organisation

Another assumption that I have worked with and which, over the years of practice has more and more left the realm of assumption is that resilient, robust action can be expected after an ost event that makes time for a whole day and a half, with the first day spent in ost and the second in Action Planning (Action Space)... optimal are 2.5 days (16 hours spread over 3 days and two nights sleep). And, following that assumption, I have always informed sponsors of the givens I just mentioned. In some cases this led to splitting the event in a 1 day ost gathering and a half day action planning a week later (this always led to having folks show up in the Action Space that were not at the ost-day... word spread that something important is going to happen).

I should not forget to mention that I often was asked about a 3 or 4 hour event. Result was always that the sponsor decided to follow my suggestion to rethink the matter and give me a ring later. That ring always came and more often than not, the sponsor continued the search for a different design.

And, if someone has a real business issue that requires immediate attention or hell breaks lose, if chaos and conflict can be seen right in front of you... even a space of less than 3 hours has to suffice to get actions in place... albeit, none of my 170 sponsors in the last 20 years faced such severe conditions but many wanted to reduce the time for a bypass operation from 7 hours to two.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp