In principle you absolutely do not need to root your phone to use an SD
card with OsmAnd on Android 5.x.

I used OsmAnd on Android 5.x with all my map data and favourites stored on
the SD card.

As of Android 5.x, apps can read and write to their own directory on the SD
card. On your SD card, there would be a directory called Android, and
within that a directory called data, and within that a directory called
net.osmand (free version) or net.osmand.plus (paid version). There might be
a "files" directory within this.

Open OsmAnd, select Settings, General settings, Data storage folder, and
select one of the "External storage" options. The path should look
something like /storage/6419-1419/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/files

Also, for future versions of Android, I strongly recommend that you don't
use the "adoptable storage" feature, because it means the memory card will
only be readable in that phone.

Thanks
Nick