Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> writes:

> Seems like for route planning, the safe bet would be worst case scenario,
> lowest speed of the three possible maxspeed values.  For example, a
> mountain road that (mostly motorcycle) traffic typically whips through
> curves at 70-90 km/h in a 110 km/h zone and have advisories (which are set
> assuming family cars in the US) for 40-50 km/h is probably only going to be
> traversable at about 30-40 km/h in a pickup.

I more or less agree with the sentiment, and that probably does not lead
to bad routes, especially because ramps are where the goofiness is and
they are short.

I see maxspeed:typical as being for the flow of mixed traffic that is
being reasonable.

However, my specific example is a ramp where the advisory signs say 20
mph but traffic is 99% of the time moving between 35mph (if there's a
cautious truck) and 50 mph (just cars, people familiar).  The 20 signs
are because trucks going >50 keep rolling over, I think - which does not
make sense.

But another ramp near me is much tighter, has an advisory speed of 35
mph, and going 45 mph is exciting in a car and would probably roll a
truck.

So I think we need a maxspeed:practical or speed:typical to encode
these, and use them in preference to regulatory/advistory limits.

Perhaps in your jurisdiction advisory speeds are rational.  Usually they
are.  But OSM can't fix Massachusetts; we just have to encode reality.
I suspect there are many other places with a disconnect between limits
and reality.