Ā key factor here is the nature of the data. The data that systems like Tom Tom
are built on is notionally complete. That is to say all significant features of
a type which are in existence are in the data set when it is created. This
means the data files for systems like Tom Tom change relatively slowly. But, it
is only feasible commercially for limited data sets; roads, rail, geographic
data, postcodes etc.

The data set for OSM is quite different. For one, it is FAR richer and more
diverse. How many cafes with associated opening times, wheelchair access and
WiFi availability information does Tom Tom provide?  It is also far less
complete.

The point is that in terms of comparison to commercial GPS I'd say the
comparable OSM data is complete nowadays. If you are using OSMAnd as an
alternative to Tom Tom, then monthly updates a month begins are, indeed, fine.
If you use OSMAnd for the car richer data, it is not. Or at least, you have to
accept you could be missing out on a LOT of detail created in the interim.

The problem for me, is that it is this richer data that I want for trips. Hence
the delay between updating the database and receiving that information in
OSMAnd can be a problem.

Now I've sussed the map creator I can compile and download a new New Zealand
map in 90 minutes of so.