On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 10:30:29PM -0700, Mark Begbie wrote:
I totally get that the map updates are getting more complex. I'm trying to build New Zealand on a Win 10 Core i7 with 8GB of RAM and struggling.

What I do NOT get at all, is how on the one hand it takes almost a month to update the map for one group of users and yet for another group it's done hourly. Something just smells really bad about that.

Not hard to understand at all:

OSM Data for Torrey UT at zoom level 14:

OSM Data for a portion of Los Angeles CA also at zoom level 14:

Note the significant difference in detail level.

Your i7 w/ 8GB RAM machine would build a map data file for Torrey UT *much* more quickly than it would build a map data file for Los Angeles CA. In fact, it likely might build the entire state of Utah faster than it would build just the city of Los Angeles, much less the whole state of CA.

So a huge contributor to the speed of map updates is the density of data to be built (under the reasonable presumption that the OsmAnd devs. have a single size, likely large, server that is used to build the updated maps). Areas that are lower density can get built faster than areas of extreme density for the same size server performing the build.

As for the hourly builds, they sound like they are built as deltas against the last monthly build file, so the hourly builds only have to consume the changes that occurred since the last monthly file was built, which is a much smaller dataset, no matter the starting area, than building the whole area from scratch. And OSM itself provides a service that delivers those changes as just the changes since the last change file, so OsmAnd does not have to first determine what changed before building the hourly files.