Ron,

Don't worry, after years of membership on your list, I have a thick
skin. :)

Re: AOTA Activities

AOTA is a large organization, so I can't report on everything that AOTA
does for members.  A good resource for this is the monthly management
report.  Here is a link to the June 2009 report:
http://www.aota.org/Governance/BOD/mgmtrpts/2009-Management/June-Mgmt-Re
port-.aspx (login required)

Re: Medicare contractors

The item I posted is an example of an accomplishment of our advocacy
work.   I think that it does take the resources of a national
association to comprehensively monitor and comment on Local Coverage
Determinations.  Each day an attorney in our office reviews the list of
draft LCDs from the contractors to see there a changes being proposed to
LCDs that would impact OT.  At the same time we look for opportunities
to improve LCDs.  n the Florida example, we worked with an AOTA member
in Florida to craft case studies for our LCD reconsideration request.

Here is a link to the letter.
http://www.aota.org/Practitioners/Reimb/Pay/Medicare/LCDs/LCDComments/Ll
cdCFL29288.aspx.  I think that having this code available to OTs will
benefit Medicare beneficiaries.

We do encourage members to monitor LCDs and advocate with contractors,
so I applaud your efforts.  We've created a resource to help members
with advocacy efforts like this, see:
http://www.aota.org/Practitioners/Reimb/Pay/Medicare/LCDs/Resources/4082
7.aspx

Re: Home health

I know that our federal lobbyists have been busy working to get language
included in the House healthcare reform legislation to address the home
health issue.  Have you considered attending AOTA's Hill day to lobby
your member of Congress?  This year's event will be held October 5.
See:
http://vocusgr.vocus.com/GRSPACE2/WebPublish/Controller.aspx?SiteName=AO
TA&Definition=ViewIssue&IssueID=6336.

Individual members do have the ability to raise their concerns through
the Representative Assembly.   Many projects/issues that we've addressed
over the years have come through member motions to the RA, for example
AOTA's policy on "direct access" to Medicare; that was a motion from a
member.  For information about the RA and the motion process, see:
http://www.aota.org/Governance/RA.aspx.

Chuck