Well, I want a cheap, small, low-power, bullet-proof sensor node. I want
to be able to read loads of them, preferably in a developed, extendable
framework, from a central sensor gateway, at the moment an RPi-based
control unit. Nothing seems to meet all of the criteria.

Standard XBee would work, but I'd end up writing loads of code. They're
cheap. It's built on a closed protocol. It's low power. It's tiny. It's
compatible with all the other XBee stuff out there. It would require on
on-board XBee at the sensor gateway and would share a single UART.

An RPi or OpenWRT router is really a sledgehammer for a nail. It's big.
It's not low-power. It's not terribly cheap. It's also a lot of overhead
for configuration. It is quite capable and on WiFi so would free my
UART, not require a separate wireless unit at the gateway, and the nodes
would be accessible by other devices.

The WiFi XBee (or otherwise) seems a pretty reasonable compromise of the
above criteria.

I'm sorry for beating this topic to death, but it seems like getting
low-power, low-cost remote sensors into the owfs framework is a pretty
important goal. Wireless is a critical path for sensor integration, and
none of the existing solutions seem worthy of OEM integration.

This is a neat product:
http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/OW-SERVER-1-Wire-to-Ethernet-Server-Revision-2_p_152.html

But $178 is just absurd. Sorry. It's also not a candidate for low-power
and battery power applications.

Colin