Am 10.02.2014 00:31, schrieb Colin Reese:
> Well, I want a cheap, small, low-power, bullet-proof sensor node. I want
> to be able to read loads of them, preferably in a developed, extendable
> framework, from a central sensor gateway, at the moment an RPi-based
> control unit. Nothing seems to meet all of the criteria.

Take the WI-ME 9210 from Digi as the base.

https://www.digi.com/products/wireless-wired-embedded-solutions/solutions-on-module/digi-connect/digiconnectwime9210

It comes with a development distribution with "batteries included".
Install it on a PC (or VM) or even use it as a live distro. Change
whatever you want to change (new files, new packages etc). Then you hit
a button and it builds your custom image and flashes it into the target
device.

When you seriously talk about costs, there's only a few solutions in the
market which are simpler to customize and to build. The price for the
individual device is still reasonable (about 60€).

Kind regards

        Jan