> On 14 Oct 2016, at 18:35, Tomasz Torcz <to...@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
>
> No need to google, udev already ships such rule:
> $ tree /dev/serial/
> /dev/serial/
> ├── by-id
> │   └── usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_A6XJSOX5-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0
> └── by-path
>    └── pci-0000:00:1d.0-usb-0:1.3:1.0-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0
>
>  One name encodes serial number of a dongle, second one physical
> connection – up to USB port.
>  Both are created by 60-serial.rules from upstream udev.

You are perfectly right. I failed to mention that I prefer to write my own
rules just because I like shorter, more descriptive names, like
/dev/ttyOWbasement, and because I *never*ever* run owserver as root, but as a
dedicated system user, so I need to setup permissions. In other words I split
configuration in two steps: udev will find the serial adapter and setup symlink
and permissions, while owfs.conf will point to a descriptive name.

But of course if default permissions are OK, and you can cope with
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_A6XJSOX5-if00-port0
there is really no reason for writing a custom udev-rule.

In fact instructions for a basic owserver configuration on linux should use
your suggestion, and not mine.

S.