inline  (but not const)

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM, ILT (O) <il.tho...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Silverlight “end-of-life” is a widely-felt gripe with developers, from my
> reading (eg, just today – Visual Studio Magazine – “*Satya Nadella's
> To-Do List*”
> [link<http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2014/02/11/satya-nadellas-to-do-list.aspx>]
> – Andrew Brust). There are several offerings of advice to the new CEO, and
> to Scott Guthrie as interim head of Enterprise and Cloud at Microsoft.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Ian Thomas
> Victoria Park, Western Australia

So is COBOL and FORTRAN

> What the hell else can we do? Seriously! Discussion here last year pointed
> out that HTML5 is the only alternative to delivering rich apps on the
> browser desktop, but it groans under stress and I was warned that it just
> can't show attractive interactive charts of the type available with the
> ComponentOne SL libraries.

Hope that MS are feeling nice and release it to SourceForge.

> Also, I have subscribed to MSDN Magazine (MSJ as it was) since 1993 and I
> agree that it is generally uninteresting these days because it's mostly
> about JavaScript, Stores, Azure, Windows RT and Windows 8 (the latest
> groovy stuff you're talking about). I find I flip through new issues and
> chuck them aside. I like academic articles, but Petzold's and McCaffrey's
> articles are so abstract they're in the twilight zone.

MSJ - used to be a good magazine.  Matt Pietrek, Paul DiLascia ( "If this
code works, it was written by Paul DiLascia. If not, I don't know who wrote
it".) were awesome.  It's a puff piece now.

> My day to day development experience is consistently as infuriating and
> unpredictable as ever. Projects won't build, IIS goes haywire with code
> 500s, versions clash, dependencies are all over the shop, kits don't work,
> samples are simplistic, designers crash, I'm coding XAML UIs by hand, I
> have to learn WiX, I have to run VS2013 and VS2012 side by side due to COM
> problems, my VS2013 is diseased, and so on. I get up in the morning and the
> things that worked the night before are all on the fritz. Sometimes I miss
> punch cards.

Wix, damnable stuff makes your eyes bleed to read it.

--
Meski

 http://courteous.ly/aAOZcv

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure,
you'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills