I was just flicking through the latest ANF Journal before chucking it out when the title "Frequent feeding clue to disrupted infant sleep"!! It was published in the "Archives of Disease in Childhood" by M. Nikoloulou and I. St. James-Roberts. These researchers identified "at risk" infants during their first week of life which put them at risk of failing to sleep through the night at 12 weeks of age!! Talk about turn normal physiology into an abnormality. They say that babies that feed more than 11 times per day at 1 week were 2.7 times more likely not to sleep through. Duh, aren't they supposed to be feeding frequently. There is no mention of the failure to thrive rate between the "control" group and the"behaviour program group". This program included maximising the difference between day and night, avoinding feeding and cuddling at night and from the age of three weeks gradually delaying feeds when the baby awoke at night!!
When will sense prevail. Those poor women out there, they must be so confused with nurses now taking that line.
Just annoyed
Jackie